Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican/American holiday. The real Mexican Independence day is September 16, but we Americans also celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Mostly it is an excuse to eat guacamole and drink margaritas.
These sloppy joes style tacos are a perfect blend of American comfort food and an icon of Mexican food – the taco. I love the soft and comforting feel of these tacos. I must warm you – they are VERY sloppy. You might even want to eat them with a fork – that kind of sloppy. Since Cinco de Mayo is next Tuesday, and Tuesday is a weeknight, these tacos that take about 30 minutes total time are perfect – and kids and grown ups will all love them. Margaritas or not!
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 jalapenos, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 Tb Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tb chile powder
- 1 Tb galric powder
- 1 Tb soy sauce
- 1 Tb ground cumin
- 1 Tb smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 12 corn tortillas, heated
- Suggested garnishes: queso fresco cheese; lettuce; tomatoes; radishes
- Cook jalapenos and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat in oil until softened, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in ground beef and cook until browned, breaking into small bits.
- Add remaining ingredients and reduce to a simmer. Cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- Serve on corn tortillas and top with garnishes as desired. I used cilantro, diced radishes and queso fresco.
Other sloppy joe innovations: