Almond butter is one of my favorite ingredients – not just for slathering on toast, but to add healthy richness to so many dishes. This vegan stew is so hearty and the flavors and textures just scream FALL!
Oh sure, I have made plenty of veggie soups before using vegetable stock. I love using veggie stock, when you’re in a time crunch and you need to buy stock at the store, it is so much more flavorful than your average purchased chicken stock. I have even made a frugal veggie stock using vegetable scraps and corn cobs. No, I am not making that up.
I had never added a dollop of almond butter – upping the flavor and richness dramatically. This hearty stew is so delicious that once you try it, it will become a fall favorite in your kitchen. Perfect for a Meatless Monday supper! Guaranteed.
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 6 to 8 small red bliss potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut milk
- In a large stockpot over medium high heat, saute shallot in oil until softened, about 3 minutes. Add cumin, sweet potatoes and red potatoes and saute until soft but still firm. Add in kale and cook another few minutes until kale is softened.
- Whisk together the vegetable stock, almond butter, hot sauce and coconut milk. Stir into stew. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
Other sweet potato stews: