Baked Chocolate Coconut Milk Mousse Recipe
May 6, 2013 in Desserts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Dash of salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Whipped coconut milk (Instructions below.)
- Baking spray with flour
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add cocoa, stirring until smooth. Remove pan from heat. Add chocolates; gently stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl. Let stand 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, sugar, and salt in the top of a double boiler, stirring with a whisk. Cook over simmering water until a thermometer reaches 115° (about 2 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk. Place egg mixture in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until ribbony, soft peaks form (about 5 minutes). WATCH CLOSELY to know when the soft peak stage is reached – if you over-whip this, the mixture will turn to liquid, losing the light and airy texture.
- Gently stir one-third of egg mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg mixture. Gently fold in whipped coconut milk (instructions below). Spoon batter into an 8-inch spring form pan coated with baking spray, spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 25 – 30 minutes or until almost set (center will not be firm but will set as it chills). Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.