This berry smoothie bowl (with or without acai) is amazing for breakfast or any time of day.
Have you tried an acai bowl yet? It’s something of a cross between a smoothie and a fruit salad and a parfait, powered by the superfood acai berry in puree form, and growing in popularity all over the place. I recently became obsessed with them at a Portland juice bar called Kure. Pricey treat habit, though, so I naturally endeavored to start making them at home instead.
The recipe here is just a template, of course! If you don’t have acai, just substitute another 1/4 cup berries, and experiment with whatever else you like. For the crunchy granola topping, you can obviously make your own, or any store-bought kind you like. Lots of great gluten-free options out there these days; I especially like Steve’s Paleo Krunch. Enjoy for breakfast, or a hearty snack, or even dessert.
- 5 ice cubes
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup frozen raspberries
- 3 ounces acai puree (or ⅓ cup more berries)
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 banana, divided
- 5-6 large strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup granola of your choice (I like Steves Paleo Krunch)
- Place ice cubes, almond milk, cinnamon, acai or other berries, almond butter, and half the banana in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding more almond milk if you find it too thick, and pour into bowls.
- Slice the remaining banana half and top with that, the strawberries, coconut flakes, and granola.
— posted by Anne