One of my favorite recipes for mac and cheese contains no cheese. None. Which makes it the perfect mac and cheese to pack in school or work lunches or for picnics. No cheese to get all greasy and globby when it is room temperature. This mac and cheese stays creamy and delicious forever.
I created this cheese-less mac and cheese recipe a few years ago while writing a vegan cookbook with co-blogger Anne: Virgin Vegan: Everyday Recipes for Satisfying your Appetite. The color comes from the carrots and the creaminess comes from the soaked and blended cashews. I also add a little nutritional yeast for a little of that Parmesan taste, but if you don’t have any on hand, it will work just fine.
I often make up a batch of this and stash it in my fridge and it lasts for most of a week – for lunches. A little scoop of this and a half sandwich makes the perfect lunch.
Fall is on the way, y’all. Time for some mac and cheese!
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 16 ounces macaroni
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup finely crushed potato chips
- Cover cashews in boiling water and let soak at least 30 minutes. Cook macaroni in salted water to al dente stage according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, sauté carrots in oil for 2 minutes over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook another 3 minutes. Add in garlic and cook another minute or so, until garlic is fragrant and all vegetables are softened.
- Drain water off of cashews and place nuts in a blender with skillet mixture, salt, broth, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper sauce; blend until very smooth. Add tofu, coconut milk, and yeast and blend again until very smooth. Stir together the blender mixture and macaroni.
- Spread in a 9 by 13 inch pan. Sprinkle potato chips on top. Broil about 3–6 inches from heat until potato chip crumbs are lightly browned. Serve immediately