I have to admit that I ma late to the cucumber party. I once disliked them – something about the weird texture of the seeds and gel in the middle, I guess. Also, they just seemed like so much work for very little flavor.
But my taste buds have changed over the years. I now appreciate subtle flavors. And I have to say that foods that are in season are foods that I crave – they just seem so, well, right.
Take cucumbers in the summer time. Just the right freshness and cool subtle flavor. And I have learned to just scoop our the seedds and gel in the middle and then the crunch is refreshing and lovely, really.
This cucumber soup is one of my summer recipes. I love the frothiness of the texture. And the flavor – well it just screams “SUMMER!” to me!
If you chill all your ingredients first, this soup only takes minutes to whip up.
Happy Summer, Everyone!
- 16 ounces cold English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 thinly sliced cold green onion
- 2 tablespoons cold lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 cup cold plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For garnishes:
- Halved grape tomatoes
- Chopped avocados
- Cilantro or parsley leaves
- Feta cheese, cubed
- Place all ingredients except garnishes in a blender and blend until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt as desired.
- Serve with garnishes spooned on top.
Other noteworthy liquid cukes: