Are you on Team Cake or Team Pie?
At our house, it’s not even a close call: PIE WINS – by a landslide. There are just so many reasons pies are superior to cakes. And so, Pi Day every March 14 at the Kelly house is a thing.
This Saturday is an EPIC Pi Day – because it will be 03-14-15 – the first five letters of Pi – and the numbers continue at random into infinity – is the number that represents the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the radius of that circle.
People celebrate Pi Day around the U.S. and around the world with pie-eating, pie-throwing, even with pi-recitation competitions, where people recite digits of pi from memory. I even read a suggestion that to celebrate this Saturday, you should run 3.14 miles. I choose to eat pie instead!
But this Pi Day is a once-in-a-century celebration. At 9:26:53 a.m. on Saturday, this will happen:
That’s right – 10 digits of pi recreated in history.
An historic day deserves a spectacular pie, I say. Hence this Mango Cream Pie. Think Fresh Strawberry Pie, only with mangoes. I just love mangoes, and could eat them every single day. Especially in pie form.
Happy Pi Day all!
–posted by Donna
- 8 ounces vanilla wafers
- ½ cup minced or ground macadamia nuts or cashews
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 cups diced fresh mango
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- Crush the vanilla wafers into small crumbs. Stir in nuts and then butter. Press into a 9 by 13 inch pan and refrigerate until crust is solid.
- Whip the cream with sugar and vanilla until firm. Fold into the softened cream cheese in a large bowl. Spread this mixture onto crust.
- Mix the gelatin with the boiling water. Stir in the sugar, salt, lemon juice until sugar dissolves. Add cold water. Add the mango and pineapple. Pour mixture in top of cream cheese layer and then chill for at least 2 hours, until top layer is solid.