What do you think for a paleo paella: Paelleo? Paleolla? Regardless, this paleo rendition of paella using cauliflower rice is truly every bit as flavorful as the original, with shrimp, chorizo and jambon, finished with a spicy garlic sauce that’ll knock your socks off. Perfect for low carb, paleo, or any other grain free, whole foods approach.
This is also a great use of Aneto’s Paella Valenciana Broth! Super rich with flavor. (Chicken or other stock works perfectly well here too, of course, but the paella base really does go the extra mile if you can get it!)
- 1 large cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper (save ¼ cup for the finishing sauce, below), diced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pinches saffron threads or 1 teaspoon turmeric
- juice and zest of ½ lemon (save remaining lemon to be sliced for serving)
- ¼ cup paella broth, or chicken or fish stock
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 Spanish chorizo sausages, sliced
- ¼ pound ham (I used jambon royal) diced
- ½ pound shrimp, deveined (and peeled if desired)
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Spicy Garlic Finishing Sauce (see additional recipe below)
- LEMON SLICES FOR GARNISH
- Cut cauliflower into florets and pulse in a food processor until the size of couscous or grains of rice. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high. Add onion and saute until softened, then add bell pepper and garlic. Cook until lightly golden browned. Stir in cauliflower, then add spices, stock or paella base, and white wine. Stir in chorizo, ham of your choice and saute all together for about 5 minutes. (If chorizo was not fully cooked, add another 5-10 minutes cooking time here.)
- Add shrimp and parsley, and cook until shrimp has cooked through.
- Drizzle with a little lemon juice and place lemons on top for garnish.
- Serve! Drizzle finishing sauce (recipe below). Serve with lemon slices on each plate.
Spicy Garlic Finishing Sauce
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper to taste
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup parsley, divided
Blend all ingredients except half the parsley. Stir in parsley and drizzle over paella (or anything else you can think of!).
— posted by Anne