Waffle stacks – for dessert or breakfast? You decide!
A great way to start the day on the Fourth of July. But then again, a great way to END the day on the Fourth of July.
In the Pancakes vs. Waffles debate, I stand firmly on the side of waffles. I mean, C’mon, all that crispy goodness of the waffle surfaces, just empty little squares waiting to be filled with butter and syrup. What’s better than that???
I have recently been making dessert waffles. There is one trick to making them with the perfect crispy crunch on the outside: sugar. Yes, just plain old regular sugar. You just sprinkle a tiny bit on the surface of your waffle iron right before spooning in the batter and – my oh my! – this adds the perfect sweet crust! Trust me on this one and just try it! Turns waffles into sweet crispy desserts!
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Additional sugar for sprinkling on waffle iron
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup blueberry jam
- Whipped cream (as much as desired!)
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together the milk, eggs, butter and almond extract. Combine the wet and dry ingredients with minimal stirring.
- Blend in blender the strawberries and strawberry jam. Blend together the blueberries and blueberry jam.
- When ready to pour into a waffle iron, sprinkle a little sugar on surface of waffle iron. Then ladle in the waffle batter and cook to desired color and texture.
- Layer the waffles with whipped cream, strawberry mixture and blueberry mixture.
Other bloggers do dessert waffles: