When my kids were little guys, I sometimes kept a container of bran muffin batter stashed in my fridge. I had forgotten about this until recently when I had a craving for these homey comforting muffin.
This mix is perfect for those hectic weekday mornings – you just scoop the ready made batter into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes. So, while you are getting ready (and if you have kids, you might be looking under couches and in corners for missing shoes and socks), the house fills with cinnamon-y delicious smells.
You can add grated veggies or fruits to me muffins easily. This time of year, I am looking to using up zucchini from my garden. I peel and grate the zucchini and then squeeze it dry with a kitchen towel. You don’t have to peel the zucchini, but it does help lessen the vegetable taste of your muffins. You could also use grated carrots, sweet potatoes or apples.
Then, your reward: you have warm, moist, delicious muffins ready to go with you on your morning drive.
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 cups All Bran cereal
- 2 cups Raisin Bran cereal
- 1 cup diced walnuts
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 quart buttermilk
- For zucchini version - 8 ounces peeled and grated zucchini
- Whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon, cereals and walnuts. Stir together boiling water and baking soda. Cream the sugar and butter and then slowly add eggs one at a time. Slowly stir in the buttermilk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Let chill in refrigerator for at least 12 hours. Will keep in an airtight container up to 6 weeks.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter muffin tins and place ½ cup of batter in each tin. Bake for 20 minutes, or until firm. Let cool to warm.
- For zucchini version, place peeled and grated zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze as much water out as possible. Stir the grated zucchini into 6 cups of bran muffin batter.