Did you know you can roast beets in your slow cooker? Yes, indeed. Since I wrap my beets in foil anyway before putting them in the oven, I thought that the slow cooker would be an even better place. All you need is heat, not the evaporation that an oven provides. So the slow cooker is the perfect tool!
Then, you can turn your roasted and cooled beets into a spectacular first course salad. Easy as pie – oh wait! PIE is not easy. So, easy as a bag of pre-washed salad.
Beets are one of the healthiest things you can eat – and I love them in salads. Just the perfect sweetness and texture.
Simple and stunning roasted beets and orange salad is a show-stopper for your holiday feast. Just have this sitting out on your table at each seat. No fancy decorations necessary – let the food add all the festiveness!
- 6 large beets
- 2 cans Mandarin Oranges, drained
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Dash of honey
- Wrap beets in foil and cook them in the slow cooker on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until they are fork tender. Cooking time will vary according to the size of your beets.
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Taste and add a dash of honey if desired.
- Toss this with all the ingredients and serve immediately.