If you don’t want to go to the trouble of making baked beans (and heating up your kitchen), this cold charred corn and pinto bean salad is a fresh take on a bean side dish. This keeps really well, and we have taken it on a few picnics already this summer. Highly recommend!
Just char some ears of corn the next time you have your grill heated – and char the corn, remove it from the cobs and then let it chill. You can add fresh veggies that you have on hand – I used some baby cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.
Here’s a fun tip: if you buy pinto beans in a flavorful sauce, just drain but do NOT rinse them. This will give extra flavor to your salad, and no need for salt – the beans will be flavorful and salty. I used Ranch Style Beans – perfect for this salad!
As for the cilantro vinaigrette, I was inspired by the Cilantro Vinaigrette from Dara of Cookin Canuck. This dressing is a keeper – creamy and herby tasting with just a hint of heat!
Happy Summer dining all!
- I can (15 ounces) ranch style pinto beans, drained
- 2 ears of corn, brush with a little oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces queso fresco cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups cucumber slices
- Small bunch of mint or cilantro leaves
- For cilantro vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Dash of lime zest
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- Toss all ingredients for salad together and chill for one hour.
- Blend vinaigrette ingredients together and toss with chilled salad.
Other pinto bean salads of note: