This recipe is proof that you can make a delicious soup using your barbecue grill – and summer ingredients.
I am in mourning. Summer is almost over and I am NOT a fan of winter.
So, there are only two seasons where I live in the Rocky Mountains: Winter, and Winter is Coming.
I love, love LOVE grilled salmon. We make it about once a week during the summer. And my garden is overflowing with cherry tomatoes, zucchini and corn. I decided to throw them all together and make a corn chowder – using the grill for the salmon and zucchini. This way, you only use about 12 minutes of stove top time and the larger ingredients are cooked on the grill, lessening the kitchen heat.
I added just a bit of Massaman curry paste – because this is one of my favorite flavors and it pairs perfectly with the salmon. YUM.
This is a fresh tasting and delicious soup that is a fabulous end of summer dish.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry paste (I used Massaman)
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen), plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon minced tarragon leaves, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces salmon filet
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Heat a large stock pot to medium high heat. Add oil and shallot and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add curry paste and cook another minute.
- Add in corn, salt and zucchini and cook until zucchini is softened. Stir in coconut milk and chicken broth and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Grill (or broil) salmon fillet and zucchini halves until cooked through. When salmon and zucchini are cooled to warm, flake the salmon with a fork and dice the zucchini into ½ inch cubes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into serving bowls. Crumble the salmon on top of each bowl. Toss each bowl with the cubed zucchini. Sprinkle on the cherry tomatoes, corn kernels and tarragon for garnishes.
Other summer soups:
Summer Minestrone, Eat the Love
Sweet Corn and Pepper Soup, Naturally Ella
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup, Kalyn’s Kitchen
Finnish Summer Soup, Farm Fresh Eats
Hatch Chile and Summer Corn Soup, The Wicked Noodle