One of my favorite tofu creations is a spicy tofu taco filling that is similar to regular old school hamburger filling – but so much yummier, and without that gristle-y hamburger texture.
I have been wanting to do an update of this recipe for awhile now, since my trip to Kenya a few months ago with fabulous food blogger Kalyn of Kalyn’s Kitchen fame. My daughter Kate and her hubby Neil were living in Kenya at the time and were lamenting the fact that good Mexican food is hard to get in Kenya. So, when Kalyn and I went, we made a Mexican food feast for them and their American ex-pat friends. One of the recipes we made was my Spicy Ground Tofu taco filling. I was thrilled to find that Kalyn loved this recipe and she even tried the recipe recently and put a fabulous spin on it by making Spicy Tofu Lettuce Wraps.
When I saw that Nasoya just came out with a new product – Chipotle TofuBaked. I knew I had to use it in an update of this recipe. The Nasoya folks sent me some of their new product to try – and coupons to giveaway. Leave a comment to this post and I will send you a coupon so that you can discover Nasoya’s goodness for yourself!
I love, love, LOVE this baked tofu. The flavor is great – I even found myself nibbling on slices of it as I cooked. But it is the texture that won me over. The texture is smooth and firm and creamy. Using this Chipotle TofuBaked makes my Spicy Tofu Taco Filling recipe so much easier than before- no draining or pressing of the tofu is required.
If you’re a fan of old school ground beef taco filling, you will love this new vegan creation. Easy enough for a weeknight, especially on a Meatless Monday!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium sweet white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce (I use Frank’s)
- 16 ounces Nasoya TofuBaked, chipotle flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add one tablespoon of oil and then add peppers and onion and saute until softened. Add in cumin, garlic powder and chile powder and cook for another minute. Turn off heat.
- Mix together soy sauce, peanut butter and cayenne pepper sauce and stir into skillet mixture..
- Crumble tofu into small bits into skillet and stir to combine until all tofu is coated evenly with skillet mixture.
- Spread remaining 2 tablespoons of oil on a 12 by 18 inch baking sheet. Sprinkle tofu mixture on top of oil in a thin layer. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir tofu. Return to oven and cook for about 20 more minutes, until tofu is crispy.
Turns out, other bloggers have made fabulous tofu tacos:
Kogi Tofu Tacos, Former Chef
Baked Tofu Tacos, Couple of Chefs
Crispy Tofu Tacos with Cherry Salsa, Mountain Mama Cooks
Tofu, Broccoli and Kale Tacos, East Well with Others
Mole Tofu Tacos, Cara’s Cravings