The latest from Donna and her sister Sandy hit the shelves a few weeks ago, and we are so giddy that we are posting some of our burrito best this week – three burrito recipes – with three chances to win a fabulous BURRITOS! book! Instructions at the end of the post.
My sister Sandy and I grew up eating burros, so this is a natch for us. Yes, while the rest of America’s kids were eating PB&Js, Donna and Sandy were eating bean and cheese burros. And, YES, they were called “burros” when we were kids. The “-ito” was added to burro later and always strikes me as odd, because the ending “ito” means small, and most burritos you order today are extra huge.
So, because of our heritage, this burritos book is near and dear to our hearts.
I am also very proud of the recipes in this book. We have 70 burrito recipes – many classics but also many new creations thought up by our very own southwest brains.
My favorite section is the International Section. We have taken classic dishes from around the globe and turned those dishes into burritos. I know. Genius. From India, we have Tikka Masala and Mulligatawny. From Vietnam, a Bahn Mi. From Peru, Lemon Chicken and Sweet Potatoes. From Spain, a Seafood Paella. We even have a Corned Beef burrito from – you guessed it – Ireland. I mean, my last name is Kelly, after all.
This Tequila Lime Shrimp Burrito comes from the New Southwest section – featuring more modern flavors rolled into one delicious portable meal. The Green Rice is topped with marinated grilled shrimp, and then – the finishing touch – chimichurri sauce. In my opinion, chimichurri sauce will make anything taste delicious. You could put this amazing flavor enhancing sauce on a piece of leather and eat it for dinner. It’s that good.
Please enter to win a cookbook and come back all week this week to see what amazing creations we have awaiting you in Burrito Bliss!
All you need to do to enter is leave a comment with a link to a social media share of the post (a Tweet, Facebook status, Pin, whatever you like!). We’ll announce the three winners at the end of the week! You can enter as many times as you want (as many shares as you’d like to make, in other words).
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- Zest and juice of 3 limes
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, stemmed and seeded, minced, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 recipe Mexican Green rice, warmed
- 4 to 6 (12-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 recipe Chimichurri sauce or bottled salsa verde
- Mix tequila, lime juice, orange juice, 1 teaspoon each of zests, cumin, 1⁄3 of jalapeño and 1 clove garlic in a large ziplock bag. Add shrimp and mari- nate for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator and drain, reserving 1⁄4 cup of marinade. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place shrimp and remaining jalapeño and garlic in skillet, cook 1–2 minutes. Add reserved marinade and cook until liquid has reduced and shrimp are cooked through and pink, 2–3 minutes.
- Assemble burritos by spooning rice onto tortillas. Add shrimp and drizzle with Chimichurri Sauce or salsa verde. Roll burritos as desired.
- Makes 4 to 6 burritos