Have you ever discovered a dish by accident? That’s how this savory parfait came to be.
I was making our family favorite Fiesta Salad that I have been making for at least 30 years, when I decided to drizzle avocado cream on top. And then I thought – why not in layers, like a sweet parfait – with a crunchy topping? Food just seems fancier in individual servings, and the way you plate these like a parfait makes this salad something extraordinary.
This bright summer salad takes about 20 minutes of prepping, and is oven- free. Just dice the veggies, toss them in a little vinaigrette and then blend the avocado cream and you’re set. Perfect for a Meatless Monday!
American style parfaits are typically some combination of ice cream, gelatin cubes, fruit cubes and nuts. The magic of a parfait is its beauty – so pretty all layered into individual servings.
So what’s your favorite chopped salad? Yes, you can turn that into a savory parfait!
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons favorite vinaigrette
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Flesh of one ripe Haas avocado
- Sliced toasted almonds for garnish
- Toss the bell pepper, onions, corn and beans wit the vinaigrette.
- Blend in blender the yogurt, cayenne pepper sauce, salt and avocado.
- Spoon into serving cups or glasses the vegetables and the avocado cream, making a few layers.
- Top with sliced almonds.
Fabulous chopped salads that I must try turning into a parfait:
Greek Chopped Salad, A Farm Girl Dabbles
BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad, How Sweet it Is
Chopped Thai Salad, The Wicked Noodle
Italian Chopped Salad, Taste and Tell
Summertime Chopped Salad, How Sweet It Is
Chopped Salad, The Vintage Mixer