Stunning, simple and super easy to make – isn’t that what breakfast is all about?
I just love oatmeal – any time, really, drizzled with a little milk and sweetener – especially in the fall, when mornings are chilly. Try this for your next Meatless Monday breakfast – so hearty and filling, no need for meat!
So, my inspiration for this new creation came from that video on the world wide web showing how to make pie crust apple roses. My son made them for me for my birthday this year – such a fun and sweet surprise! I tried making them and they were very fun, but a lot of work and not a healthy breakfast. More of a dessert, really. Here’s what my pie crust apple roses looked like:
So, I decided the idea of apple slices as rose petals might work for a delicious and easy breakfast.
This really is easy enough for a weekday breakfast, yet stunning enough for company. This could easily work for a crowd because you just spoon oatmeal into ramekins and then top with sauteed apple slices. Just set them in the oven on a baking sheet to warm while you make the rest of your breakfast or brunch and sit back and wait for the oooh’s and aaa’hs!
Use any type of oatmeal you like cooked as you normally would. I used steel-cut oats, but use any you like. Then, saute apple slices in a little oil and cinnamon until they are softened. Place the softened apple slices on top of the oatmeal in your ramekins and – Voila! – breakfast apple roses!
- Two cups hot cooked oatmeal, any variety
- Three large red apples, such as gala or Braeburn
- A little oil for sauteing
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- Spoon oatmeal into six 1-cup ramekins, about ¾ full. Keep oatmeal warm while sauteing apple slices.
- Cut apples in half and then remove core with a melon baller or round teaspoon measure. Place apple cut side down on a cutting board and cut in ¼ inch slices.
- Saute in a large skillet over medium high heat in a single layer with the oil, turning to make sure both sides of apple slices are lightly browned and slices are softened but not mushy.Sprinkle with a little cinnamon toward end of cooking. Let slices cool to warm.
- Using smallest slices first, bend a slice into a round shape and place cut side down into the center of a ramekin with oatmeal. Continue bending and placing apple slices around the center slice, forming a rose shape.
Other genius apple-oatmeal combinations:
Crock Pot Apple Pie Oatmeal, Kalyn’s Kitchen
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, Barefeet in the Kitchen
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal, Annie’s Eats
Overnight Baked Apple Oatmeal, A Farm Girl Dabbles
Oatmeal Apple Blender Pancakes, Some the Wiser
Oatmeal Apple Rice Krispie Treats, Foodie Crush