Two dishes collide in this bun: fajitas and hot dogs. AKA my new favorite hot dog.
When summer hits, I crave hot dogs. I like them slathered with mustard and a little sauerkraut. My new favorite dog is Applegate uncured organic beef dogs – they are nitrate-free, low-sodium and low-fat. Better yet, they are YUM.
These Fajita Dogs are such a great combination of flavors and textures. Who doesn’t love grilled onions and peppers? I slathered the buns with a little refried beans on one side – just to make them more fajita-like – and the other side with mustard.
- 1 each red, green and yellow bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) refried beans
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- Cut bell peppers into strips lengthwise, discarding seeds and pulp. Cut onion into strips from pole to pole. Toss all peppers and onions in oil. Grill on a hot grill until lightly charred.
- Grill hot dogs until lightly charred.
- In a small sauce pan, stir together the beans, cheese and salsa. Heat until warmed through and cheese is melted.
- Spread the bean mixture on one side of the buns. Spread mustard on the other side of the buns. Pile into buns one hot dog and some peppers and onions.
- Serve immediately.
Other southwest spins on Hot Dogs: