No baking. No fuss. In fact, there is no cooking required at all to make these pretty little chocolate peppermint stacks – the perfect no-fuss ending to your holiday feast! Just five minutes of prep time and you will have spectacular Chocolate Peppermint Stacks.
I have been a big fan of ice box cakes since I was a little girl and my great grandma made us an ice box cake with graham crackers. I made an updated ice box cake in her honor – a Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Box Cake made by using the shortcut of Nutella.
Ice box cakes are genius because they use thin wafers or graham crackers and a moist filling such as whipped cream and then you put them in the ice box and wait for them to soften so that the wafers or graham crackers become cake-like in texture. Genius, I tell you.
If you want to go vegan with this dessert, use Coconut Whipped Cream – a dairy-free version that is even more yummy than regular whipped cream, but a little extra work.
So, this ice box technique is perfect for a last-minute dessert that literally takes only about one minute per dessert to put together.
I love, love, LOVE using Famous Chocolate Wafers for all kinds of desserts, so naturally I used them here. They are a perfect thin, crispy cookie and work so well in ice box style cakes. Just put them together before you eat you dinner and by the time you are ready for dessert, they will have softened perfectly.
Apparently I am not the only one who adores these thin crispy cookies – they have their own facebook fan page!
Bonus: They look so pretty on a plate!
- One package (9 ounces) Famous Chocolate Wafers
- 2 cups whipped cream (or other whipped topping)
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candies
- Place one chocolate wafer on each serving plate and then spread a thin layer of whipped cream on top. Repeat for a total of about 6 layers (more than this and your tower may topple!).
- Refrigerate fro about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional peppermint candy if desired.
Other ice box cakes that would be fabulous on a holiday table: