Turn Brussels Sprouts leaves into a healthy and festive appetizers with goat cheese and pomegranate arils.
Brussels sprouts leaves make the perfect tiny cups to hold festive holiday appetizers. This easy healthy app is ready in 5 minutes flat – and that includes the blanching! And, if you blanch Brussels sprouts leaves for one minute in boiling water, they turn bright green and look so pretty on a serving platter.
Holiday food – especially party food – can be so rich and heavy and high-calorie, and so these little bites are bright and light and even healthy! They are a burst of fresh, tart flavor for your holiday table.
Brussels sprouts’ green color is perfectly seasonally appropo. Then, goat cheese is white and pomegranate arils are bright red, hence: Christmas colors. POM has even made it easy for us and now sell little cups of harvested arils. How easy is that?!
These healthy little bites can be ready in just minutes. The blanching takes the most work, and I am guessing you could also microwave the leaves for a few seconds, making prep even easier. I haven’t tried that, but plan to soon.
I like the tartness here, but if you like to balance the tartness with a little sweet, you can add a few drops of honey or agave.
Let the Holiday Appetizer Season begin!
- 12 large Brussels sprouts
- 2 ounces goat cheese (plain or with added herbs)
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- Optional: one teaspoon of honey or agave
- Bring a small pan of water to a boil. Remove 2 outer leaves from each of the Brussels sprouts and cut off excess stem end, forming a round cup shape. Blanch for one minute in boiling water and then remove and place in a bowl of cold water.
- Fill each leaf with a little goat cheese and a few pomegranate arils. (Add a drop or two of honey or agave, if desired.)
Other bloggers’ healthy apps:
Smoked Salmon Kale Wraps, Taste Food
Spicy Tuna Cucumber Avocado Appetizers, Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Hummus and Roasted Pepper Phyllo Bites, Cookin Canuck
5 Easy Healthy Appetizers, Eating Made Easy
Endive Stuffed with Old Bay Crab, Jeanette’s Healthy Living