Summer is the perfect time to celebrate fresh produce – especially tomatoes. There are few things better in life than a ripe heirloom tomato fresh out of your garden. This time of year, our garden is packed with red globes peeking between the green leaves of our tomato plants. I love to go to the garden and pick one of the ripest and reddest tomatoes and eat it right then and there – dirt and all. The juice drips down to my elbows and I don’t even care.
Summer gardens are the best.
This simple fresh tomato salad just screams SUMMER! on a plate. I love the crunch of the raw corn paired with the softness of the ripe flavorful tomato. And the bright lemon vinaigrette with a little bite of raw garlic enhances the ripe tomato flavor so perfectly. This is a simple yet stunning summer salad.
The presentation is as stunning as the flavors. All you do is cut out the core of the tomato, place it on a plate and then with a large serrated knife, slice down through the tomato without cutting all the way through. This creates the beautiful fanned-out effect.
Summer perfection on a plate!
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, whites and green
- Micro Arugula for garnish
- Lemon vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Core the tomatoes and place each one on a salad plate. Cut down through the tomato, forming wedges, without cutting all the way to the bottom. Fan tomato wedges out to form a pretty arrangement.
- Sprinkle on the corn kernels and green onions slices.
- Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients. Drizzle some of vinaigrette over salad. Toss micro arugula in a little vinaigrette. Arrange coated arugula on top of tomato.
Other tomato salads: