If you’re looking for a way to use up all that zucchini, here’s a new zucchini thing I just discovered: burgers! A great burger for a Meatless Monday summer dinner.
These veggie burgers are the perfect summer solution to a bountiful zucchini harvest. Some veggie burgers just have the wrong texture – too mushy, too dense, too crumbly. But these burgers hold together well and yet have a great texture. The key is squeezing the grated zucchini dry before mixing it in and then letting the burgers chill so that they hold together better.
I added a Panko bread crumb crust – but you could skip this if you prefer and your burgers will not suffer.
The almond butter adds a richness and also helps hold the burgers together, so no eggs necessary.
The avocado aioli is not low calorie, but is so delicious and worth the splurge. Just buzz everything in a blender and slather generously – decadently if possible.
Happy Zucchini Season, All!
- 3 medium zucchini (1¼ pounds)
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- For garnishes: thinly sliced red onion, thinly sliced zucchini, ripe tomatoes
- Grate the zucchini onto a thin kitchen towel. Squeeze as much water from the zucchini as you can without turning the zucchini into mush.
- Mix together the zucchini and all ingredients except garnishes. Form into patties that are about 1 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Let chill in refrigerator for 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Cook in a skillet with a little oil over medium heat, until heated through and the patties have a browned crust.
For the avocado aioli, just blend together:
Blend in blender the flesh of one ripe Haas avocado, 1/4 of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon lime zest, 1 diced jalapeno, 1 diced green onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce. Chill for at least 20 minutes.
Other bloggers fun Zucchini burgers: